Sunday, November 15, 2009

Seasons


It has been sometime since my last post and I have not been on Twitter, either. There was a three-week lapse when home computer was not opened. Between family illnesses and my husband's travel schedule, new initiatives at school, and other district commitments, I have been in survival mode for the past month. Like all seasons, change is coming!! We are all healthy!! Traveling has slowed. My school have-to's are completed.

“You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of.” John Rohn

I'd like to share a "find" with you. A friend and I always share books, so during one of our conversations she told me about a book/video for fourth graders. It's from the American Girl series, Chrissa. The main character is the victim of mean girl bullying: physical, verbal, mental, and cyber-bullying. Chrissa goes through all the steps of trying to solve the issue on her own, while finding some new friends for support.

That night, I reserved a copy at the library. My daughter and I watched it that weekend while she was sick. Amazing! It shows how to stand up to a bully, whether you are the victim or going along with the bully. The character displays leadership, perseverance, empowerment, acceptance, and more. Chrissa even has a website with some games and strategies to learn.


I went to share this with our guidance counselor and a parent had already given her the video. I'd recommend it to any parent with a young daughter and teachers. I want my daughter to be strong, secure, and assure of herself. Young girls need to see and read about strong female characters in our media today. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment