Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Power of Rereading!

Between snow and illness, I've been absent from school for 7 days.  While I could do little but lay in bed, I was able to read.  I had finished all the books I got from the library, so I went to my shelves and grabbed some "fun" reads again.  I never tire of rereading some genres.  They aren't heavy reads, but quick.  I anticipate the pivotal moments.  I get lost in the setting and even imagine myself there.  I lose myself in the books, even if my head is ready to explode!

Throughout this past week, I started thinking about the power of rereading and my own practice.  I read the same series of books every June, to acclimate myself into summer mode.    My treasures need to reread, like I do.  It helps their fluency.  It helps their comprehension.  But mostly, it's helps them enjoy and relish the book.  Newsweek had an article in June, "The Pleasures of ReReading." David Gates shares some of his favorite rereads and why.  We all have our reasons for our book choices and rereads. 
Question:  What books do you reread?

It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.  ~Oscar Wilde

2 comments:

  1. They are guilt pleasure books I tend to reread when I need a laugh or an "easy" read. For an example: Laurie Notaro is the author of several short story collections. Just to give you a sense of her humor one of the titles is We Thought You Would Be Prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My adult book club has this rereading conversation often. There are a few books we've read over the years (and years and years and years) that were such standouts for us all that we put them on the lineup and go back to them. Wallace Stegner's Crossing to Safety was the first one we reread. I'm pretty sure we'll reread Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer again...we keep talking about it!!!

    ReplyDelete