Friday, August 7, 2009

Technology, Target, and the Haircare Aisle

Have you ever gone through the haircare aisle at Target and looked at all the different options you have? There's shampoo, conditioner, gel, mousse, spritz, hairspray, pommade, and many more. Then, you can even look at the purpose for each item: curly hair, fine hair, normal, straight. So many choices, so many uses.

I recently attended a two-day Leadership Academy in our district and many of the sessions focused on technology. As I learned many of the options out there, I needed to marinate on how I would use them and apply them to the learners in my room. Katie at Creative Literacy, and Karen from Literate Lives and myself had conversations about why we would use one software idea over another. There is so much out there that I sometimes feel overwhelmed and unprepared. But, I slow down and step back.

My mission is to teach my kids to understand their purpose of the the project. They need to think about their audience and then decide which program would be beneficial for them. Like the haircare aisle, there's so many choices. Instead, think about the learning style, purpose, audience, and then decide what would be best for that project.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Partner. I am planning on exposing my promising readers to some of their choices in technology and then having them decide which on would work best!

    ReplyDelete