Referring to my favorite characters...Alvin Ho and Scarredy Squirrel...I devised a fool proof plan.
Mrs. Archer's Painting Preparation Process:
1. Buy paint and brushes....check
2. Secure painting area (a.k.a the cafeteria)...check
3. Spend prep time sketching portraits and tracing with crayon...check
4. Line tables with drop clothes...check
5. Make a visual aid (chart) of clean-up jobs and the student responsible...check
6. Pack multiple cleaning aids to the painting area...check
7. Bring a Diet Coke or Cup of Coffee for Mrs. Archer...I FORGOT!
As you can see, I was very detailed in my preparation. My treasures painted with precision, waiting in line for their next colors. Through their own schema, they began mixing paint to create the specific color they were seeking. It was smooth! The portraits are amazing! (Will be sharing at a later post!) Then, as with all projects, some began finishing at different times. "What do I do now, Mrs. Archer? Is it time for recess? Are we going to recess? Can I help do something?" Aghhhhhh! I forgot to plan some "what do I do when I'm done" stuff because we weren't in our classroom. Then, it went crazy
( in my head) and my treasures were everywhere. After much meandering, loitering, and dancing (yes,some of my treasures love to dance!)all the materials were cleaned up, spotless, and inspected. It went well, and I'll do it again.
But, I will always remember: to take deep calming breaths (especially during cleanup), bring a diet coke for me, and that could make all the difference!